My last week in Cádiz has flown by, and it’s hard to believe it’s already Saturday! Cruz Roja has definitely kept me busy, and I got to work in several different programs, which was a wonderful experience. I am definitely going to miss my half hour walk to work on the beach every morning, and, of course, all of the wonderful people at Cruz Roja. Here is a brief overview of my weekly duties:
Monday: In the morning, I worked under a program called MEINAS (MEnores Inmigrantes No AcompañadoS). This program takes information from all of the unaccompanied minor immigrants who arrive here in Cádiz and works to help them find work, shelter, etc. For me, however, it meant more paperwork, as I only had to copy data about each immigrant and consolidate it into one paper. Most of the immigrants were Moroccans between 17 and 19 years old. After experiencing the stress of travelling around Europe all summer, I cannot even begin to imagine what it would take to leave your family and move to another country where you literally know no one. In the afternoon, I worked on math worksheets with the mayores.
Tuesday: I followed the same schedule as Monday: MEINAS in the morning for an hour, followed by the mayores, who were working on “fichas lectoescrituras” today.
Wednesday: I went to the pediatric ward in the Cádiz hospital today. I helped some other volunteers in the ludoteca, which is like a playroom for the sick kids. Kids are kids in any country, so there weren’t many surprises here.
Thursday: I sat in on Spanish classes for immigrants. There were only two students today: Mohammed, an elderly man from Mauritania and Alice, a middle-aged lady from Madagascar. This was probably one of my favorite days. Although it was difficult to understand Mohammed’s thick, Arabic accent, our teacher, Paco, translated between American- and Arabic-accented Spanish. Mohammed has only been attending classes for a week, and is trying to learn the Latin alphabet, after writing in Arabic for his entire life. I have to say, I admire his fortitude, because after being there for only a week he had begun to scratch out legible little figures, and was trying his hardest to write from left to right. Like most things in Spain, the two hours turned into more of a story time than a class. I learned a few phrases and Cádiz words from Paco, as well.
Friday: I went to my last taller de mayores in the morning, and returned at 8:00 pm to go out with UMES (Unidad Móvil de Emergencia Social). UMES brings food, drinks, blankets, hygienic products, etc. to the homeless people in Cádiz. Today, we were just delivering sandwiches and juice boxes. Our driver, another volunteer, and I loaded the bocatas up in the back of the van, and drove around town for the next three hours locating the homeless people, writing down their names and information, and handing out food and the occasional hygiene kit.
And thus concludes my Cruz Roja adventures here in Cádiz. Today will be spent straightening out my mess of a bus ticket and getting ready to head out tomorrow. It’s hard to believe that in just 48 hours, I will be packed into the plane in Madrid, and about to take off for America! After 11 weeks, my European adventure is finally drawing to a close. But for now, I’m off to enjoy my last full day in Cádiz. As a homeless guy so adequately said to me last night: “Que lo pases bien y que las tartas sean dulces.” (Have a good time and may the cakes be sweet!)
No comments:
Post a Comment