Thursday, June 9, 2011

Buenas Noticias

                Today was far less exciting than the last few days, but still full of all kinds of good news. We completed our first presentation of the trip today, despite my horrible accent. After school, we took a trip to an Espina Bífida clinic. It was extremely challenging… we were supposed to be learning vocabulary there for our tests next week, but I was more concerned with trying to learn about the actually disease. Visits like these are always humbling: they remind us that no matter how much we think we have learned since being here, we still know literally no technical Spanish. I am constantly reminded that I will always have a long way to go.
                This afternoon, we went for a run on the beach to celebrate our día libre tomorrow. After walking back through town and climbing the six flights of stairs to the apartment, we were greeted by a delicious smell, which was unusual for two reasons. First, because it was only 10:00 p.m., and dinner was already being cooked, and second, because it smelled good. I went to our room to wait, bracing myself for the cold shower that I knew I would have to take before dinner. We were further shocked to find that dinner was ready before we had the chance to brave the icy cascade. During dinner, we received possibly the greatest news of all: the apartment has hot water after all! After two weeks of being the only ones of our group with cold showers every day, things were finally looking up.
                Now, we are faced with a three day weekend, a trip to Africa (as was decided upon this morning), and a long week of tests and presentations during the upcoming week. I can’t believe that Cádiz classes are halfway over! It’s bizarre to think about. Anyways, don’t call in international forces, parents, I will be back after the weekend. İVamos a viajar a Marruecos!

No comments:

Post a Comment