Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day #1: Ash Wednesday

With the arrival of Ash Wednesday and the Easter season, it is once again the time of year to make Lenten resolutions.  After having given up everything from candy to TV over the years, it has grown increasingly difficult to think of something new and meanigful to sacrifice each time Lent rolls around. So this year, I am putting a new spin on things. As Father Tim said during the Ash Wednesday mass today, “You should not be the same person after Easter as you are right now.” Lent is a time to prepare, reflect, and grow as a person. This year, I have chosen to view my Lenten resolution as an opportunity to do just that.
Being a first year engineering student here at Georgia Tech can certainly take its toll on a person. This semester has been full of lab reports, miserable weather, test after test, and weekends spent trying to catch up on work. It also gets pretty frustrating when the all-nighters and long hours of studying never seem to pay off. Most days, it is difficult to see all of the good things around me that I am so lucky to have, and I have begun to take more and more things for granted. So this Lenten season, I am going to make a special effort to find happiness. Each day, I am going to write about one positive thing that I have found here in Atlanta, no matter how seemingly insignificant it may be. If nothing else, hopefully these next forty days of positive thinking will at least change my own personal attitude, and help me get back to the lighthearted lifestyle that I have been so blessed with for the past 19 years. By reading this, I hope that you will join me on my journey as well, and maybe even take a few moments to thank God for all of the joy in your own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment