Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day #27: Registration Success

                Last semester, my GT 1000 class devoted an entire day in preparing us for that nightmare of nightmares: registration. Our peer leaders (PLs) likened it to a battlefield, and passed on their knowledge of how to cover all your fronts. Yes, we left that day well equipped to handle everything from restricted sections to escaping the dreaded 8 a.m.’s. Since coming here, one of the hardest adjustments for me, personally, was getting used to the fact that school never seemed to end. There were labs that went on until 10 p.m., classes that start at 8 a.m., and random, useless, hour-long gaps all between them. It is my perpetual quest to get all of my classes together into single blocks, and I have gradually been perfecting that art. This semester was much more acceptable than last, but there were still labs until 6, a 2 hour lunch break, and some rough professors. I sat down recently to work on my schedule for fall, set on getting done as early as possible each day. As I looked up professors’ average GPAs and class times, I was shocked to find that everything seemed to fall into place. In no time, I had created the perfect schedule: done each day by noon, with one day of lab until 3. I didn’t get too excited, though, because as a freshman, you are pretty much guaranteed to not get any of the right classes. I received another pleasant surprise when I discovered I had one of the earliest time tickets, thanks to the fact that I am studying abroad this summer. So when my registration opened up today, I held my breath and plugged in the course numbers. I was swept with relief as the page refreshed without any ugly red comments. My perfect schedule is now a reality, and I have come out victorious in another registration war. What a successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment