Friday, April 22, 2011

Day #45: Roomies

                As my last few days of blogs approach, I have decided to dedicate this one to the person who inspired this Lenten resolution in the first place: my roommate, Emily Davidson. When I went home for Christmas break, the common theme seemed to be crazy roommates: from the potentially illegal immigrant to the weird girl who trashed the room every weekend to the high school friends that finally spent too much time together, I had heard just about every scenario. I was consequently shocked to find that my situation was an exception rather than the norm.
                From that first Facebook message to ranting about d-orbitals all last night, I cannot think of a single complaint about Emily. She has tolerated shotgun shells, African tribal masks, my coming back at all hours of the night/sleeping through the blaring fire alarms, and a freezer full of deer, not to mention the terrifying state of the room after test weeks. I know I don’t fully appreciate how lucky I was this year, but I do know that randomish roommates as good as mine are few and far between.
                Even after all the trials and tribulations that this Institution holds, Emily Davidson somehow manages to stay positive, and come back each day with a bright smile and a bounce in her step. Juxtaposed to my own melancholy demeanor, this makes for a stark contrast. I am sure hearing negative, one word grunts in response to, “How was your day?” gets old very quickly, but the question is waiting nevertheless each day when I heave myself back through our door. After sitting through stoic, bitter professors, it’s always a welcome reprieve to know that someone on campus still cares about my well-being.
                College tends to be a time when beliefs are tested, and people change, sometimes for the worse. I feel that, personally, I have grown stronger in my faith, thanks to Emily. I have never met anyone who better personifies what it means to be Catholic. She is always so excited and proud to be Catholic, and it is almost contagious. I am so thankful to be a part of such a beautiful tradition, and I am equally thankful to Emily for helping me realize it.
                So to my amazing roommate, I would just like to say thank you. Thanks for all of the adventures, including, but not limited to, our road trip to Swainsboro, hunting, trekking across campus in the ice, Christmas door-wrapping, and Friday morning bagels. Thanks for somehow learning the secret to waking me up, and for not leaving me asleep during class or fire drills. Thanks for all of the hilarious stories, made even more so after a week of no sleep. Most importantly, thanks for always being there for me. I don’t know how else I would have made it through the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment