Back in the fall, there was a day when I looked up and realized that all of the trees, grass, and flowers had died. It was a very depressing sight: the novelty of leaves actually changing and not just blowing off in a hurricane had given way to the reality that they were doing so because they were dying, and would soon fall, leaving sad, sickly, bald trees. It dampened my day immensely as I trudged through the chilly air to chemistry.
After having witnessed how depressing a real winter can get after a while, I can appreciate, in retrospect, just what a momentous occasion that day marked. Today, however, was on the opposite end of the spectrum. After having been frantically studying for three days for my “Hell Day” tomorrow, consisting of calculus 2 and chemistry tests, any break was much welcome, even if it was just to go to class. But coming back from another confounding calculus 2 lecture, as I dragged myself back to my dorm, I stopped for a moment and looked up.
The trees were covered in bright, fresh green leaves while new grass sprouted up beneath them. The bushes around the quad outside of the Howey physics building were laden with pink flowers, just like the ones at home that Dad got in trouble for “trimming” with a chainsaw. Landscaping has never been so effective: campus actually looked pleasant for once. It was encouraging to be reminded that the miserable winter actually ends at some point, and things go back to normal…a good tidbit to keep in mind as I tackle my second to last round of tests!
No comments:
Post a Comment